I am sure you would agree that running a successful business is mastering all functions across your full value chain from sales to delivery. This is not an easy task as “stuff” pops up that challenges us along the way. When this happens, the danger is that we may concentrate on the challenges in isolation and miss how they interact and affect the overall performance of our business.
For example, not having clear processes can affect how much it is costing you to deliver your product (which affects your cashflow and profits) or how long it takes to deliver your product (which affects customer satisfaction).
But, what if we could take complex business concepts and create simple, easy-to-use models and toolkits, how would that increase our turnover and growth?
I started this discovery journey with assessing my business.
Where were my strengths that I could leverage and use
Where were my challenges, issues and risks that need to be addressed?
What was I missing?
Who could I ask to give me a different perspective?
I want to share with you one of these areas of business that I think is central to success … your processes. It is almost like having a framework that has all your activities, outcomes, measures, costings, values and people that will achieve your purpose, all in one place.
Here are some questions to consider. Give yourself a score of 1-5. This must be backed up with evidence. (Sorry, evidence is not what sits in your head, it’s what you have written down and what you are managing on a day-to-day basis.)
1 – There is no evidence or I don’t know
2 – Little evidence but I am not managing it
3 – Some evidence and I manage it sometimes
4 – Mostly evident and I manage it when needed
5 – Clearly evident and well executed (like an expert)
- There are clear, well mapped out processes for every part of the business offering
- Each process is broken down into activities with clear outcomes and lead and lag measures
- There is a clear skills and competencies matrix of skills required for each section of the process map
- Everyone is clear on how their performance is measured across the process map
- Everyone is clear on where they get work from and where they give work to
- Resources and organisational support is given to ensure excellence delivery
- Everyone knows where their job fits into the full process map and where they add specific value to the customer
- A full technology support system is in place covering flow of information, work automation, and others needed
- There are clear and well executed processes around communication channels, meetings and sharing information
- Everyone is able to identify lead measures that indicate potential risks in their area of the process map
If you want the full assessment, email us on email@example.com and we will be able to help you.